“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” Mark Twain

Books :) (a Meme)

Kristen at Taste Buds tagged me with this Book Meme - and I'm an "enjoyer" of reading and readers, so I couldn't resist (besides, I'm a sucker for tags - much of the time, anyway!).


1. Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
I don't remember for sure, but I can make an educated guess. My mom was a children's librarian before she quit to raise me and my brother. Also, I have vivid memories of my grandmother taking me to the library weekly after my mom passed away when I was 7 - so she "took over the job," so to speak.

2. What are some books you read as a child?
I LOVED "Are You My Mother?" by P. D. Eastman, and "The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster. "The All Of A Kind Family " series was another favorite, along with Nancy Drew (and even the occasional Hardy Boys). My parents also had the "Colliers Junior Classics" book series (10 anthologies in the series with TONS of stories in each). I read those cover to cover over and over. I still have most of them in my library, and plan to read them to my kids - or have them read them themselves - soon.

3. What is your favorite genre? I like just about every genre - as long as the storyline is compelling, I'm good (though a touch of hope is always a good thing).

4. Do you have a favorite novel?
Aunt Jane's Hero by Elizabeth Prentiss (discovered it because I read another book by her and was so impressed I looked up other works by her - it's basically a Christian marriage manual masquerading as a wonderful story.).

5. Where do you usually read? Wherever I can - I'd prefer to do it in an easy chair

6. When do you usually read? Whenever I have time.


7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Generally not

8. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction? Depends on why I'm reading it - if I'm doing it for research, I may highlight the book or take notes (and I may be researching when reading fiction as well!). But no real difference.

9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
We buy them for the most part - but we have SO MANY we bought before and haven't read yet that there really is no need to buy more (LOL though I did just order "Hinds Feet on Hinds Places" as recommended by a friend at Amazon Marketplace).

10. Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them? I almost always keep them.

11. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
I have shared "Are You My Mother" with the kids, and they liked that, as well as "Make Way For Ducklings" - another of my favorites. Probably my favorite books I've shared with them that I did NOT read as a child (mostly because, I believe, they weren't written yet!) are "God Gave Us You" By Lisa Tawn Bergren and "I Love You As Much" by someone whose name is escaping me. (yes, I'm VERY mushy LOL)

12. What are you reading now?
"Child Of My Heart" - a book of testimonies from Shepherds Ministry (they are a Christian residential facility for the mentally disabled in Wisconsin)

13. Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
Not really - though I may have TBR pile on my night stand :) Does that count?

14. What’s next?
Probably "Hinds Feet," unless I finish what I'm reading sooner and find something else in my house that grabs my fancy before it gets here.

15. What books would you like to reread?
The Bible (hehe - every year), Aunt Jane's Hero (it's lent to a friend currently, or THAT would be next on my list!), most Max Lucado books

16. Who are your favorite authors?
Max Lucado, Jan Karon, several folks at Faithwriters who aren't necessarily published - including Ann Grover and Jan Ackerson. To be honest, lately I have been doing a LOT more reading at Faithwriters than of books. There's some AMAZING stuff over there!

OK! Now, I suppose I need to tag some folks. Hmmmmmm. How about Amy at Sparrow's Flight and Josh - do me proud, my friends!

Anyone else who wants to do this is, of course, welcome to join in!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You learn so much about a person from this! LoL--I loved it, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne - there you are! I just found your blog and wanted to stop by. I enjoyed reading your answers to these great "books" questions. I tend to enjoy reading your work, so I'm adding you to my blogroll. I'm guessing you won't mind! Great mention of FaithWriters, btw. Blessings! ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jo! We've been tagged, huh? You should have warned me! Didn't see it until late tonight, not that I could have done anything before then anyway! What a day. Have been learning all about how to sink or swim today. I'm pretty sure I'm swimming again. Was touch and go there for a bit! Thank you for praying for me always. I so appreciate you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! You played! I loved getting to know your book habits. By the way, did I mention how cool I think YOU are? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, mine is up! :-) Fun meme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Max Lucado is awesome isn't he? :)

    This is a fun way to learn about a person. I had fun writing mine and reading yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts - please share them!

My One Word: 2016 and 2017

Most who know me know I am a very goal-oriented person (in fact, I already shared my goal wrap-up for 2016 and my new ones for 2017 on this...