“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” Mark Twain

If At First You Don't Succeed...

Well, my goals were lofty, especially not knowing what the first month of school would be like. Three chapters in a month! (even if I wasn't expected to have them all perfect) That's a LOT to expect.

Well, I didn't QUITE make it. In fact, I'm not sure I could say I even got close. Here were my three goals for September.
1. I will compose to the second draft a chapter about God's preparation of our family through my husband's planning for a career change a year before he got sick.
2. I will compose to the second draft a chapter about God's perfect timing and the incredible circumstances around the birth of my daughter during our health trial.
3. I will convert some of the information in my Challenge entry "In Old Testament Black and White" into a book chapter.

Well, I didn't even TOUCH #1. Not even a THOUGHT (I'd even forgotten I made that as a goal! LOL). For #2, I finished the first, very rough, draft. And #3 I'm about halfway through the rough draft.

So, some might say I failed. But do you know what? I don't. Sure, I didn't reach my goal, but I DID end the month with more written than I started it with. I also got some other things done - including some blogs, a bit of editing, and submitting an article or two for paid publication. I've also gotten better about keeping my house neater (not neat, but neater!), and I've been spending some quality time with friends and family. And I felt (for the most part) like I was in God's will.

So, perhaps I set my sights to high. Perhaps my goals were set (or sought for!) without seeking the Lord. Perhaps they were a way to "brag" to myself about how much I figured I could do. Regardless, I am not allowing myself to be discouraged. I am simply pressing on with new goals (and yeah, I'm seeking God about them a bit more fervently than last month!), confident that, if I keep the Lord at the center, I will accomplish exactly as much as He wants me to.

Thanks to all of you who have been following my progress - check my sidebar for my new goals in just a couple minutes!

2 comments:

  1. The only way to fail is to give up, and clearly you're not doing that, so nope, you didn't fail. I think it's good to set lofty goals (easy to say that to "others"), because even if you don't reach them you've probably gotten further along than if you'd not set them that high. Good for you on being goal-oriented! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, just keep pressing on. Don't beat up on yourself; dust it off and keep moving. Each new day brings the gift of sacred possibility. Spend it for Him and all ends in peace. I've set some goals for myself, but I am so exhausted most days, I feel blessed to have written one complete, coherent thought by days end.

    Standing with you in the journey, friend.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts - please share them!

My One Word: 2016 and 2017

Most who know me know I am a very goal-oriented person (in fact, I already shared my goal wrap-up for 2016 and my new ones for 2017 on this...