“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” Mark Twain

What I Can't Do - Monday Manna

Welcome to Monday Manna. The purpose of this meme is to get together and get to know Christ more through His Word. On the first and third Monday of each month, anyone who wishes can post their thoughts on a verse I introduced at my blog the Thursday before. It doesn't have to be a long post -- just a few thoughts, a picture you feel helps express it, a poem, a short story, a devotional.

Anyone is welcome to participate. Just put a link to your Monday Manna blog entry in the MckLinky gadget below,  and check out others' thoughts.

The verse I chose for our first Monday Manna of 2010 is also my theme verse for this year. I've heard it a lot since I was saved a decade ago, but truly pondering it over the past week or so has definitely given me some different perspectives on it. I hope you have had the same privilege, and plan to share your perceptions with us here.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 NKJV
Looking forward to your thoughts. Mine are below.

**
Christ is the one who strengthens me for my tasks. It is His power that allows me to accomplish great things for Him. Without Him, I can do nothing.

Then why can't I, for instance, fly? Heal my husband physically? Travel at warp speed? Find gas for less than $2 a gallon? Write an exceptional, bestselling book in 24 hours? (Or even one month?)
Because God has not strengthened me for those particular tasks.
If I go out on my own and decide what I will accomplish this year - or this month, or this day - I may or may not succeed. Because God does not strengthen me for what I want. He strengthens me for what He wants.


myspace layouts






You see, "all things" can be a bit misleading. It is only through Christ that I will be empowered - and He will not strengthen me for any old task. It is only those things that are in His will where He will  work in my life this way.
So, perhaps, if you are not achieving "all things," it is because He has not strengthened you for the task.
And if He has not strengthened you, you probably need to re-examine your goals, and your direction. Perhaps you are reaching for the wrong things. Maybe you can't do it (whatever "it" may be) because you aren't supposed to; because Christ wants to put His strength in you for another, more God-honoring task.

And who wants to work without His strength?

**

Thanks for reading. Be sure to link up with your thoughts on Philippians 4:13, and read other folks' contributions. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!



Paving Rough Roads with God's Presence

4 comments:

  1. Very important thought here, Joanne. He strengthens us for what HE has called us to accomplish.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This jumped out at me, JoDear: And if He has not strengthened you, you probably need to re-examine your goals, and your direction. Perhaps you are reaching for the wrong things.

    So true!!
    Thanks!! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I especially like this: "You see, "all things" can be a bit misleading. It is only through Christ that I will be empowered - and He will not strengthen me for any old task. It is only those things that are in His will where He will work in my life this way." This verse is so often misinterpreted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts - please share them!

My One Word: 2016 and 2017

Most who know me know I am a very goal-oriented person (in fact, I already shared my goal wrap-up for 2016 and my new ones for 2017 on this...